Winter

Winter
Tracks in the Snow. Photo by John Stoeckl

Saturday, December 1, 2018

Reflections in the Ice - Update1

Reflections in the Ice:  Glacial Seasons in Alaska.

I've been working on a book for the past few months.  Currently I'm sitting just shy of 40,000 words.  The book is a personal nature book about the seasons I've spent as a ranger, especially focused on the season I spent on glacier boats.  Some of the essays in this blog have in inserted and modified into the book.

The book will touch on all things Alaska:  glaciers, mountains, bears, fishing and special places.  It'll take you from Ketchikan to Barrow, but focused mostly on south-central Alaska and the Kenai Peninsula.  I also have a few essays I'm including from Olympic and Mt. Rainier National Parks.

It's a reflective piece, thus the name.  It reflects upon my journey into the wild, my witness to receding glaciers and the effects of climate change.  It's also a reflection upon myself.  Much like the writings those of you have read here in my blog.

The difference is the format.  Everything will be connected and themed together into a long read--the kind of book I would have wanted to read if I had interest in Alaska.

I'll keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment